What is special needs?
The term Special Needs covers the full range of medical, disability, therapy and education needs. The list below will give you an idea of how broad "Special Needs" can be - so have a look, you may find it covers you or a member of your family.
- physical, sensory or intellectual disabilities
- learning difficulties, learning disabilities
- developmental delay
- chronic illness (eg. asthma, diabetes)
- speech problems
- gifted or talented
- other special needs
The ADF has developed a policy regarding ADF Families with Special Needs. This policy includes a number of initiatives to assist Families with Special Needs who are in receipt of a posting. These initiatives include:
- recognition of special needs
- assistance with housing
- assistance to access respite
- special equipment assistance
- education assistance
- therapy assistance
- early intervention assistance
- special trips for eligible families
More information about these initiatives can be found elsewhere in this booklet. Detailed information can be obtained from the members orderly room, Defence Community Organisation or by ringing FIND on 1800 020 031.